Sausage and Bean Bake
400g potatoes, peeled and quartered
1½ tbsp olive oil
6 sausages, cut in half
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into pieces
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp caster sugar
½ x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
500ml chicken stock
A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with water, put on a high heat and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain, add 25g of butter and mash. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the sausages. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown all over.
- Add the remaining oil, followed by the onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the butternut squash, stirring everything together.
- Increase the heat to high and add the white wine vinegar. Continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the sugar, tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock and stir everything together. Cook for one minute.
- Stir in the parsley leaves and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the butternut squash is becoming tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180˚C/gas mark 4. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with mashed potato. Place in the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per Serving 838kcals, 37.2g fat (12.4g saturated), 84g carbs, 8.4g sugars, 44.6g protein, 29g fibre, 1.1g sodium.