Chocolate Tiramisu Trifle
- 6 large free range eggs, separated
- 175g caster sugar
- 750g mascarpone cheese
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 375g savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits
- 500ml espresso
- Good splash of vin santo or Marsala
- 450g dark chocolate, in large thich shavings (best quality)
- 2 x 400g cans caramel or dulce de leche
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- 100g white chocolate, in large thick shavings
- YOU’LL NEED
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Trifle bowl (clear so layers are visible)
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy. Mix in the mascarpone and vanilla until combined and set aside. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until white and stiff. Add a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and mix through. Add the rest of the egg whites and fold through gently.
Arrange the savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits to the base of a trifle bowl. Soak them in the espresso and splash with a little vin santo or Marsala. Carefully spread a layer of the mascarpone mixture and sprinkle over a little of the dark chocolate shavings, then spread a few tablespoons of the caramel or dulce de leche.
Repeat with the rest of the ingredients, ending with a final layer of mascarpone mix. Dust with a little cocoa powder and decorate with the rest of the dark and the white chocolate shavings. Chill until ready to serve.